Do You Have an Artificial Brick Wall?
Robyn N Smith
Genealogists are famous for their brick walls. However, many of the things we call “brick walls” are more likely the result of some common errors, such as relying too heavily on the Internet, not reviewing original sources and focusing too closely on only the person or couple of interest. These create what Ms. Smith calls “artificial” brick walls and in this lecture, Ms. Smith describes these errors along with others. Developing better practices and learning new skills will go a long way towards solving many of our genealogical problems.
Some of the ways to prevent artificial brick walls are:
- Redouble your efforts to finding ancestors in the census
- Always examine the original source
- Analyze and correlate the records that you have found
- Find living descendants
- Search the “cluster” of people associated with your ancestors
- Research all siblings in every generation
For more information select → http://www.baltimoregenealogysociety.org/BCGShome/program-of-speakers/
For more information please select the following:
The Baltimore County Genealogical Society was founded in 1977 to help educate members in tracing their family ancestry, to collect and publish material related to genealogy, and to encourage the open exchange of genealogical ideas and experiences.
- We collect and maintain substantial materials for Baltimore city, the counties of Maryland, U.S. states and more.
- Our Library has computers connected to the Internet with Wi-Fi.
- General meetings are held in our Library on the fourth Sunday of the months of September through June (except December), at our headquarters:
Parkville Senior Center
Room 308 (Elevator available)
8601 Harford Road
Parkville, Maryland 21234
For more information select → CONTACT US
Over 4,000 books • Baltimore City and County, Maryland • Maryland Counties (800+ volumes) • U.S. States (700+ volumes) • Genealogies • Foreign and Immigration Research • Archival and Research Guides • Periodicals and Society Newsletters • Family Association Newsletters • Bible Records • Church Records • Cemetery Records • Tax Lists • Family Folders filed by Surname • Pedigree Charts • Microfilms • Microfiche • Maps • CD-Roms • Online Computers • Wi-Fi • Photocopiers
Web Manager: s conner
05 MAY 2019