Mt Olivet Cemetery in Frederick and its connections to Baltimore
General Meeting: In Person
Presentation: In Person
GUESTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME AT OUR MEETINGS.
WEATHER RELATED CLOSINGS: VISIT THE → BCGS HOME PAGE.
For detailed directions and a map, select → PLANNING A VISIT.
THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE ON MEETING DATES:
- The LIBRARY is open from 12 – 2 pm.
- The GENERAL MEETING followed by refreshments takes place from 2 – 3 pm.
- THE GUEST SPEAKER PRESENTS FROM 3 – 4 pm.
INTEREST GROUPS MEET IN THE CORRIDOR OUTSIDE OF THE LIBRARY:
- The EASTERN EUROPEAN INTEREST GROUP meets from 11:45 am – 1 pm.
- The COMPUTER INTEREST GROUP meets from 1 – 2 pm.
2 0 2 4
Big Changes with BigY: Updates on Y-DNA Testing
General Meeting: TBA
- The use of Y-DNA results is critical to the research of the patrilinear line.
- This involves the identification of the father’s father’s (and so on) ancestral heritage.
- The presentation will discuss the basics of the Y chromosome, the types of markers used, and how results help find male relatives.
- The Rolls Royce of Y-DNA tests is the BigY 700 test offered by Family Tree DNA (FTDNA).
- This product launched a tsunami of discoveries of Y-DNA mutations that enabled this test to be valuable to track male relativity in genealogically relevant timeframes.
- FTDNA implemented many new “Discover” tools to analyze BigY results making this test the ultimate paternal line research aide.
- Learn about these new tools and how they can benefit surname projects and paternal research.
- Help to convince fellow BCGS member, Jim Cross, to spend his money to gain the value of the BigY!!
Andrew Hochreiter is an avid genetic genealogist, researcher, and educator who manages multiple DNA surname projects and successfully applied DNA to trace several related family branches overseas. He instructs classes in genetic genealogy at Howard Community College and leads a DNA focus group at the Washington DC and Columbia Family Research Centers. He is Chairman of the East Coast Genetic Genealogy Conference and a founding director of the Investigative Genetic Genealogy Accreditation Board (IGGAB). Mr. Hochreiter is a board member at large for the Forensic Genealogy Special Interest Group of the Association of Professional Genealogists and on the board of directors for mitoYDNA.org. He is a great enthusiast and user of genetic genealogy as another valuable means to trace family history.
MAY 26, SUNDAY, 3 pm
General Meeting: TBA
Everyone is invited to use all of the research assets of our Library from 12:00 Noon until 4:00 PM.
- We will be scanning Bibles and historical documents.
- Bring in what you have and have it copied to digital media.
Please bring a USB drive to make a copy of these scans.
(The image next to “Research Day” courtesy of http://www.vintagekin.com/)